Thursday, July 29, 2010

Terrifying

Today I had one of the scariest experiences of my life. We went to the new Riverdale Park splash pad.

(SO fun, by the way.)

We had been playing on the splash pad and then moved over to the park. I was talking to my friend while I kept an eye on Aiva. I hadn't seen her her for a couple minutes, but you know how kids move in and out of view when playing on the slides and such. It'd been maybe 2 minutes, and I thought I should go check on her.

She wasn't there.

I checked the other park area, and she wasn't there either. She also was not at the splash pad. By this time I was panicked. I checked the parking lot, and everything else once again.

Nothing.

I enlisted the help of some other moms to help me. They sent their children around calling Aiva's name. By this time I was in tears. I have never been so scared in my life. All I could think was, "Is she okay? Is she scared? Is she crying somewhere?"

Finally I spotted Aiva, sobbing, with another woman. She had wandered away to the opposite end of the park to where we had put our stuff earlier when we were playing at the splash pad. She had started crying when she couldn't find me and asked the woman for help. (We always tell her that if she gets lost to ask another mom to help her.) Aiva and I were both crying as we hugged.

I have never been so scared in my life. I will never forget that sinking feeling in my stomach.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

That is the most awful feeling in the world and you never ever ever ever forget it. So sorry you had to go through it but so thankful everything turned out ok. I think it's amazing that Aiva remembered to find a Mom and ask for help, that's what I've always told my kids and it's comforting knowing that Aiva actually did it. Tell her I think she is an amazing little girl!!! :)

The Dahls said...

Yikes! I've never "lost" one of mine but I've been the "other mom" and helped some kids find their parents. What a good mom you are and what a smarty pants Aiva is! Glad you found her safe!

Natasha said...

I know how you feel with this one but mine was at the Davis Conference Center when we were waiting in a massive line for our H1N1 flut shots, and Emma took off. So freaking scary when you can't see or find your child. I'm so sorry you had to go through this. I'm glad she is ok. My mom also remembers and reminds me of the time she could not find me and my sister as little kids at the mall. A traumatic experience as a parent that we will obviously never ever forget.