Saturday, June 14, 2008

To the best father I know . . .

Today is Mike's first Father's Day . . . I have been thinking about how grateful I am to be so certain of his ability as a father. For those who know me best, you will know how carefully I sought him out. My parents did not have a very happy marriage, and at a young age I yearned to have a father that was kind, and gentle, and strong, and a man of God. My dad did the best he could, and the older I get, the more I can appreciate that. But I wanted more for my children than what I had. I remember in the middle of high school reading something that said that most girls end up marrying a man a lot like their father, and it terrified me. I decided that I would ask God to help me to find a man with whom I would share a happy marriage, and who would help me to raise our children in the gospel; a man who would be kind and loving and supportive. I prayed as I have prayed for nothing else in my life! I prayed for the same thing every night for many years. I described in detail exactly the kind of man that I wanted for my children, and for myself. Heavenly Father has answered my prayers, and I see that every day as I watch Mike be a father to Aiva. He is, and will be, the kind of husband and father that I always envisioned. I am so proud of him. He is absolutely the kindest person that I've ever met. He is always concerned for my comfort and wellbeing. He is generous and considerate, and he never yells. He makes me laugh, and he holds and comforts me when I cry. And anyone who has talked to Mike about Aiva can testify that he is the proudest dad alive. He loves our little girl more than life. I am so thankful that my daughter is seeing first hand how a good man treats his wife and family. Because of Mike, she will easily be able to grow to discern and choose a man who will treat her with the love and respect she deserves. I am so grateful for Mike's love and kindness and patience, not just for me, but for everyone he knows. I am grateful to know that my husband knows and loves his God and serves Him, and will help me raise our children to be strong, good people. God heard and answered my many, many prayers. I am so grateful to Him, and to Mike, the best husband and father a girl could dream of. Thanks, sweetheart, for being "the ONE."






3 comments:

Marky said...

Happy Fathers Day Mike! Isn't so fun to see your hubby with your daughter.. It always puts a smile on my face!

ps.. I got the pic for my blog title by shrinking the size of the pic to like 1.5 inches, you just have to play with it until it looks right!

Natasha said...

I love the cute pictures! He seems like a wonderful dad. I'm glad you found someone that will treat you the way you deserve to be treated! And your baby is adorable.

The Dahls said...

look! you found a cute layout! Where did you get this one?