Thursday, March 5, 2009

Scam alert!!!

I just got finished dealing with an internet scam that I wanted to let people know about, so naive people like me don't get taken! I made a deal with Mike when I had my miscarriage that if I had my miscarriage naturally at home and saved the $500 for a D & C that I could buy a Nikon D40 DSLR that I have been despirately wanting for like a year. I looked all over online and found a killer steal on soniccameras.com. I bought it, and settled in to wait the 8 - 10 days for delivery. Then I got an email asking me to call Sonic to verify my order over the phone. I did, and they tried to sell me a bunch of other stuff to go with my camera. I kept telling them no, and then the guys said quickly, "It'll be there in 4 - 6 weeks" and hung up on me. I was like, what?! and was getting suspicious, so I called back (which takes several tries to get through) and I asked to have my order cancelled. The guy said, "Okay, it's cancelled" and hung up on me again. So I called back again and asked that I be emailed a confirmation that it had been cancelled. They said, "Okay" and hung up on me again. By this time I'm getting mad and nervous. I called again and asked the person, "when can I expect to receive the email confirming my cancellation?" The guy said, "Let me transfer you" and put me on hold, which by this time I'd figured out meant that no one was EVER going to pick up. So I called my credit union and had my cards cancelled. Then I did what I should have done before I ordered the camera in the first place: I googled Sonic's name. Scam, scam, scam!!! I am sooo mad at myself! The fact is, I'm a newbie at ordering things online, and I never thought this would happen to me. Luckily, my account never got charged and they won't be able to charge it.

So, as a warning to everyone: Google before you buy, and if the price is too good to be true . . . it probably is!!!

No comments: