Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sad day . . .

I always thought that people who announced their pregnancies before the second trimester were taking a bit of a risk since the chance of miscarriage in the first trimester is so high. The reason I announced mine so early was because of the way that it happened. The chance was so slim for me to get pregnant in the first place, and I really, really felt in my heart that this was a baby that just really needed to get here. It was just so meant to be. But yesterday we found out that I miscarried. I was 11 weeks, and the last week, my nausea had dropped off so sharply, I just thought that this time I was really lucky because I was sick much longer last time. Then the day before yesterday the thought ran through my mind that maybe I had miscarried. I tossed the thought aside. Reminded myself that this baby was meant to come to us right now (apparantly), and that each pregnancy is different and I was far enough along that I should start feeling better anyway. I work in the radiology department at Davis Hospital and the next day at work (yesterday) I decided to have the ultrasound girls check me out, just to ease my mind. No heartbeat. I have had no symptoms other than the easing of my nausea that would indicate a miscarriage. I saw my doctor and he left the choice up to me to either wait and let the miscarriage finish out on it's own (which he said might be 2 weeks or so) or just get it over with and have a D&C. Does anyone who's been though this have an opinion either way? I'm thinking I'd like to let it just happen naturally, but I'm not certain that I want to go through waiting and grieving for that long. This has been a lot harder than I ever expected a miscarriage to be. Opinions please?

I've learned at least two things: I won't post a pregnancy again until I'm past the first trimester, because this is just plain humiliating to have to "announce" a miscarriage. And I won't complain so much about feeling nauseous next time. It's a sign that everything is going the way it should.

18 comments:

Jenilyn Anderson said...

I am so sorry Elise. That is such a hard thing to have to go through. I wish I had some advice or had some way to help you, but I haven't experienced that. I just want you to know I am thinking about you and I think you just need to do what you think is best. You will be in my prayers.

Jill said...

Oh, Elise. What I say is what I was taught to say about miscarriages by my mother and friends who have gone through miscarriages.

My mom told me you never get over a miscarriage. She said it is just
like the death of a child because it was a child - your child.

Friends who have miscarried have asked me not to say, "I'm sorry" or
"you'll get through this" because they don't want the sympathy and they
don't want to get through it...yet. It hurts and, dang it, the hurt feels good
for awhile because they don't know what else to feel right now.

So I won't say
any of those things. I don't even know what to say other than you are already in my prayers and will continue to be.

aLeXis said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers as well. All my love.

Rider Girl said...

That is so sad! i am sorry! i will be thinking of you.

The Dahls said...

I'm so sorry Elise. It's so hard...so hard.

When this happened to us we went with the D&C. I didn't want to have to experience it so fully, and our dr said if you want to make sure it is 100% taken care of that that is the way to go. It wasn't painful or hard or anything...just went to sleep and then it was over. Then I could move on and be done with it.

My sister did it the natural way and that was fine for her. Everything turned out fine, no problems.

It's totally a personal choice though, your call. I just didn't want to have to deal with it the natural way and all that goes with that.

You're in our prayers though, call me if you want to talk! Love you!!

Shaun - Jillian said...

Elise - I am so sorry to hear about this. You will definitely be in my prayers. Shaun's sister miscarried and did it the natural way and I know it was quite a sad experience for her and she would do a D&C next time. I am sure that you will choose the one that will be the best for you. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Megan said...

Oh Elise, I am soo sorry. We really need to talk. It has been a rough month for us that is why I haven't called. I'm so sorry I haven't been a good friend. Know that I love you and I really want to get together.

Natasha said...

I'm so sorry. I can't even imagine what you are going through. I wish I could lend some advice but I have none.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Elise! My mom also had a D&C she so I would probably go with that since thats all I know. But you will make the right choice for you good luck! We all love you at work!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Elise! My mom also had a D&C she so I would probably go with that since thats all I know. But you will make the right choice for you good luck! We all love you at work!

Brent~April~Kennley said...

Elise, I'm sorry that I don't have any advice for you. I know that either way, it will be what is right for you. I don't want to say "I'm sorry" or "I know how hard this is going to be for you", not because I don't care, but because I don't know how hard that is. And I'm sure "I'm sorry" does not even come close to easing that pain. I just want you to know that we love you and Mike and we will always be here for you, and you are in our prayers,

Heather said...

Elise, I was so saddened by your news. I think I told you what I felt the other night, but you have to do what you want and feel is best so that you don't regret it. Whatever you decide will be the right choice because you made the decision. Please let me know if you need anything or if I can help you in any way.

Jody and Lacey said...

Elise I am so sorry. I can't imagine what you are going through. The Lord had other plans for you. I love you and you are in my prayers!

just dandee said...

Oh Elise. I am truly sorry.

I too had a miscarriage at 11 weeks. For me, my first sign was the bleeding. I did end up having a D&C but my doctor said that I had passed most of it already.

Personally, I think a D&C is good because then you are positive that everything is taken care of. The "natural" part that I did experience was not so good for me. A bit traumatic.

If you'd like to talk about it, my ears and heart are open.

I second Jill's thoughts about miscarriages. It is never "easy" to get over. A baby is a baby no matter how far along you are. I will keep you and Mike in my prayers. Hang in there.

Lindsey Rose said...

Oh Elise I am so sorry to hear about this. I know I am a little late, but you guys will be in my prayers. You are one oif the neatest couples I know, and the Lord can only try and bless the faithful. I have always been a firm believer of the refiners fire, and when it is over the blessing rain down from heaven. we love you guys and will be praying for you.

The Dahls said...

you've won an award on my blog.

Amy said...

I am so sorry Elise!! I actually just had a D&C yesterday.... I'm not sure what you decided, but if you need to go to lunch and talk, chances are very likely I'll need it too! It's probably the hardest trial I have been through, I can't believe how hard it is to lose a pregnancy! My heart aches for you!! And my prayers are with you!

Brandon & Tiff said...

I don't know what to say...I'm kind of late with this news too, but we will just keep you in our prayers! Love ya :)