Parley P. Pratt is Mike's great-great-great-great (not sure how many "greats") grandpa. This is his son Moroni's tombstone, the line that Mike's family descends from.
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
MEMORIAL DAY . . .
In my family growing up, we never did much for Memorial Day, but in the Cole family, it is a BIG DEAL. It's the one holiday of the year besides Thanksgiving and Christmas that everyone is guaranteed to be there. In fact, it is actually a two-day event. On Sunday, everyone drives up to Preston, ID to a little cemetery called Fairview that you'd only find if you knew exactly where to look, where Mike's dad's ancestors were buried. We're talking from his grandparents, all the way back to Moroni Pratt, who is Parley P. Pratt's son. The interesting thing is, the day of Mike's and my first date, I had attended a funeral for my uncle who passed away from cancer, who was buried in that exact cemetery. So it's really neat to be able to go visit both mine and Mike's relatives there. After Fairview, we all drive down to Logan and have a picnic at the park, and then we walk across the street to a free little zoo. The kids love it, and it's a fun tradition to look forward to every year. Then on Monday, everyone (even extended family) meet in South Ogden to visit Mike's mom's parents' graves, after which we all go to Mike's parents' home and have a big family BBQ. Memorial Day weekend has really become something that I look forward to. It's a time to think on the things that our forebears have done for us: the sacrifices, and the traditions and values that they have laid out for us to follow.

Parley P. Pratt is Mike's great-great-great-great (not sure how many "greats") grandpa. This is his son Moroni's tombstone, the line that Mike's family descends from.
Parley P. Pratt is Mike's great-great-great-great (not sure how many "greats") grandpa. This is his son Moroni's tombstone, the line that Mike's family descends from.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Cute pics! What a fun holiday tradition!! Sounds like you had a GREAT weekend! Well, Bentley hasn't shown anymore symptoms, he still points to his mouth and acts like it hurts, but I am pretty sure he is teething too. So I really don't think he has it, but I don't know! Call me today, and we'll talk!
Hey Elise! Of course I don't mind! Actually I tried to get on your blog, but it was blocked, so I am glad you left a message on mine so I could see yours! Your little girl is adorable! You have such a cute little family!
hi elise its natasha. hope you don't mind that i found your blog. your baby is adorable. seems like you and your family are doing real well. :)
What a cute post. I love those kind of BIG family traditions. I miss all of you guys at work :( it's not the same without ya. Your family is so cute. I love the Logan Zoo it's such a fun little place :)
Post a Comment