Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

I had so much fun with Valentine's Day this year. I've had it in my mind how I wanted to do Valentine's Day for a while, but I haven't had kids old enough to do much. So this year, I finally had some fun with it. I made a special Valentine's Day breakfast for Aiva, complete with pink heart-shaped pancakes with strawberries and bananas. She thought it was pretty cool. Then Aiva got to take Valentines to her friends at preschool.


Sorry, this picture is blurry. I made a special Valentine's Day dinner for my family. The menu:
Miso soup (my step-dad is Japanese, and he has us hooked!)
Linguine with Silky Mushroom Sauce (YUM!! It's healthy, too. :)
Steamed Broccoli
Sparkling red grape juice, complete with goblets. Aiva enjoyed having "cheers" every minute or so.
And, if you look closely, Aiva was dressed up for the occasion.
Then Mike took Aiva out on a daddy-daughter date to the movies. To "pick Aiva up" for their date, he snuck around to the front door and rang the doorbell. When Aiva answered, he was standing there with a red rose, just for her. Aiva was enthralled, and loved their date.
The reason we do such an "unromantic" Valentine's Day is that our anniversary is at the beginning of March, so our anniversary seems very anti-climatic if we celebrate V-day. So we've decided to make it fun, and all about the kids. In the future, Mike will take the girls out, and I will take the boys out, if we happen to have any! :)
Hope everyone had a wonderful Valentine's Day!



4 comments:

Bethany said...

I love the idea to have Mike take Aiva out on a date! That is super cute and fun. Your dinner sounds delicious and your breakfast was darling. Happy Valentine's Day!

aLeXis said...

Everything is so darling! I love Valentine's Day....it is so fun to make it special for the kids. We went and saw Gnomeo & Juliet. Is that what they went and saw??? Our kids liked it. Glad you had a good day!!

Tiffany said...

Ohhh...I like that idea a lot! We, too, have a March anniversary, so we don't do the Valentine's day stuff either. We may have to copy you next year!

Natasha said...

I love the date idea. That is just so sweet. Jesse is definately going to be doing this with our girls. The pancakes look delicious.