My hubby is somewhat of a Christmas Elf. Not quite to the caliber of Buddy the Elf, but a Christmas Elf nonetheless. Maybe it's something to do with serving a 2-year mission in the Philippines, where Christmas is celebrated from about September on. At any rate, at our house, Christmas music is playing as soon as FM 100.3 airs it. As I am writing this, I am listening to "Jingle Bell Rock." Always swore I'd never be one of those people, but oh well. It's actually one thing I love about Mike - he likes to be happy, and Christmas music makes him happy, so he isn't ashamed to listen to it earlier than most.
So this morning we were listening to FM 100.3 while we ate our breakfast, and we started talking about a particular Christmas song: The Christmas Shoes. Initially, when this song was released 8 or so years ago, I thought, "Oh, what a touching song! That poor little boy! What a nice man, to help him out!" As time has gone on, the thought has occurred to me . . . this is a FAKE STORY. So then a mental image of Bob Carlisle writing this song (or whoever actually wrote it) worked it's way into my mind . . .
"I want to write a song that will really make people want to cry. I mean, I want people bawling their eyes out, with tears streaming down their faces as they drive down the interstate in a winter storm. Let's see . . . oh, I got it! How about a poor boy whose mom is dying at Christmas time. Oh yeah, this is good stuff . . . "
Also - come on! Who wouldn't help this poor boy? I'm pretty sure that even Mr. Scrooge would oblige. Here's this little boy, "Sir, my mommy always made Christmas good at our house, but most years she went without. All she wants is to to look beautiful for Jesus! What will I do, sir? Oh, what will I do?!?!" Don't get me wrong - it is a great message, and in the spirit of the season. If is a real story, correct me! If this is a real story, I will break out my hanky right now! But I just can't get over the image of the song-writer sitting there intentionally writing a tear-jerker.
If you love this song, I'm sorry. I think it is a beautiful song with a great message that we really do need reminding of. Mike and I just have to laugh now whenever we hear the song. Has anyone else out there heard it, and just had to giggle a little bit?
Now a song that I love is playing: O Holy Night. Man can Mariah Carey sing! Has anyone else been listening to Christmas music since the day after Halloween???
3 comments:
Hahahahaa! You are hilarious!! I used to think this song was so sweet too, but now it's just annoying. I change the channel when it plays. Seriously.
Guilty. I love Christmas music and play it as often as I can. :) The song I can't stand talks about how there is not snow in Africa this Christmas. Really? There was last year? The song is about making people feel guilty, not inspiring them to act. I like the musical aspects of the song, but not the lyrics. There are others I like less though. Good thing there are so many! :)
Guilty here too! Call in the white coats because we're setting up our tree today!
Oh and here are the links of the blogs we talked about at church...
http://tatertotsandjello.blogspot.com/
http://www.u-createcrafts.com/
Post a Comment