Saturday, October 24, 2009

Pregnant mom with too much energy . . .

With a new baby coming soon, it's been time to move Aiva to a "big girl room." So with my new-found energy of my second trimester (which is fading fast as I'm now 30 weeks), I set to work planning and preparing the room. I painted her walls, refinished old furniture, sewed a quilt, bought some fun things at garage sales, dug up old treasures, and crafted a lot. Fun, fun, fun! I have LOVED it all! It has been so fun to find cheap ways to decorate a room. It's still not finished, but it's coming together, and I wanted to share some photos of the semi-finished product, and some of the fun crafts and projects I've been working on, as well as some of the garage-sale finds that I'm most proud of. I've been going for a vintage, girly feel. Enjoy!


First off, the furniture I found at a garage sale. The dresser and matching night-stand for $50. Ugly as sin, but in my head I had big, beautiful plans for fixing that. My sweet Mike parked outside for a week while I took over the garage with sanding, priming and painting.



The headboard. Found at a furniture consignment shop online. $45. We haven't got the frame set up yet, as Aiva is still falling out of bed occasionally. But, sweet success, at least she's sleeping in it!



My pride and joy. Mirror found at a garage sale for $3. That's right, folks, $3!!! A good coat of spray-paint, and it looks fit for a princess!



Another thing I'm very proud of. Red straw hat found at the DI for $1. I bought the feathers and flowers and made this fun dress-up hat. Total cost was $6. I have 3 other hats I also got at the DI, waiting to be prettied up. Gotta love a fancy dress-up hat.



The dresser: finished product! I still want to replace a few of the knobs with some fun, funky ones, but for now, I love it! The set of books on the top are old Reader's Digest books with every old fairy tale and classic story you can imagine (Huck Finn, Oliver Twist, Jungle Book, Cinderella, Red Riding Hood, etc.). I got the set at a garage sale for 50 cents each! It's hard to tell from the photo, but the walls are a very, very light pink.

That's all the pics I have for now, although there's several other things I've added since I took these photos. Maybe I'll have to do an update when I'm closer to done. Anyway, hope you liked it! I love it, and so does Aiva! She calls it her "pink room." :)

12 comments:

Bethany said...

You've been busy and so good at thrift shopping. That is definitely not one of my talents. I love that mirror. What a steal!

Mitch and Holly said...

Elise, this is so very cute!!! I'm impressed with your talents. I think we need to spend time together so some of your craftiness will rub off on me :)

Shaun - Jillian said...

Very cute!! I have always wanted to go garage selling and find fun treasures like that but I haven't ever found any thing. I am very impressed!

Laura G said...

I found your blog through Sarah's....you both are SOOO talented at finding amazing deals. I love all of your treasures. Especially the dresser and books, I LOVE children books! Aiva is so cute on her big girl bed too.

Lindsey Rose said...

You guys did a great job!! Love the dresser!

Stacy said...

The dresser turned out amazing!! I have been meaning to ask you if you found out anymore about a blessing dress. Let me know!!

Natasha said...

Wow I can't believe you have done all this being pregnant. You go, girl. It looks great. I think I need you to come and do my little girls room up for me.

Sarah said...

You did awesome!! Totally how I pictured they would turn out. YEAH for garage sale shopping!!!

just dandee said...

W-O-W! I am completely impressed. It all looks so amazing! Great job with the dresser. You totally transformed it. Love the mirror too. And... everyone needs a fun red hat. Simply fabulous!

Kim said...

I love it! The mirror was such a great find! I can't wait to see it when you finish it all! The dresser looks great. I love that you shopped second-hand - you can find such great pieces with character that way! You should try this one consignment shop up in Roy - we'll have to go there together sometime. Great job Elise! Paige was telling me about Aiva's room so I'm so glad that I could see it.

Sew Much Ado said...

The dresser looks adorable! And I love the books on it, they are so cute. Great job!

Jenilyn Anderson said...

WOW! I LOVE the dresser! You did a great job on that! I wish I had the talent to do stuff like that!