Sunday, July 6, 2008

4th of July weekend

We had such a fun 4th of July this year! Where Memorial Day is the holiday where we always get together with Mike's family, the 4th is the one that belongs to my family. In years past, we've always just spent the day near home, and watched Layton City's fireworks at Layton Park. This year we did something a little bit different. My mom's boyfriend Koji got a deal at Zermatt Resort in Heber, and Mike and I, Koji and my mom, my sister Chelsee and Koji's sons Jared and Brett all got to go up there for a night and a couple days. For those of you who have never been to Zermott, it is really amazing. Besides the natural setting being gorgeous, the resort is also made to feel very European, and the entire experience was fantastic! We went mini-golfing, swimming, rode the carousel they have there, played sliderboard, watched the fireworks Friday tnight, and we also ate at Schneitter's, a very nice restaurant that is on the Resort campus. Friday night they had a seafood buffet, and we ate salmon and shrimp and crab legs to our hearts' content. I'm drooling thinking of all that crab. Yummmm . . . However, the best part of this whole thing for me was getting to know Koji and two of his kids. For this first time in seven years, I am seeing my mom with a man who knows how to treat her right. Also for the first time, I have found that maybe it really will be possible to blend families and actually have it feel like a FAMILY. I've always been hesitant to get to know my mom's boyfriends and their families. It is just so personal. But I really genuinely had a lot of fun and felt very comfortable with Koji's kids. We stayed up laughing and playing games after Koji and my mom fell asleep. I have hope that one day my dream of blending families into an even better family might one day happen.


This cute little carousel is right outside in the courtyard of the resort.




She LOVED the carousel. We rode on it about 4 times,
and she just laughed and laughed.


Aiva was so scared of the swimming pool at first.
You can tell that she's trying to be happy, but not quite sure about this.


After about an hour, starting to have fun.


She clung onto us like this for about 45 minutes before
she was comfortable enough to let go.

5 comments:

Stacy said...

She is getting so big! She is almost a year old!! That sounds like you had a great weekend. I am happy for your mom that she has a great man in her life right now. Tell her hi for me!

Brent~April~Kennley said...

What a fun fourth of July weekend!!!!! Aiva looked like she was having a blast. Hope to see you all soon.........

Megan said...

What a FuN holiday weekend!! That place sounds GrEaT!! You guys all look soooo cute. And good for your mom that she is dating someone that treats her the way she should be treated. :)

Marky said...

Looks like you guys had lots of fun..I love the 4th of July!! And she is getting so big, I can't believe how fast they grow up!

Lindsey Rose said...

Elise, I am one of Mike's friends from High School and checked out your blog! Your little girl is darling! You are such a cute family. Tell Mike hello and I hope you all are doing well.